Life is getting more complicated and our ability to do anything on our own land is becoming entwined in an increasing volume of regulation and complexity.
Making an application to a local government or state government department for a development approval can be a frustrating exercise. Often what seems to be a good (and straightforward) idea to you will be met with opposition. Then, even if the Council gives its okay, it may want to extract a real pound of flesh out of you in charges or impose a list of requirements upon you.
We are experienced in all facets of planning and development law, from initial enquiries with local authorities through to Planning & Environment Court hearings. We have assisted clients through negotiations with councils and government departments prior to, and during, the application process as well as after a decision has been made.
Because court actions are expensive, our aim is always to minimise the expense and maximise the outcome through negotiation and mediation. However, if a resolution cannot be reached through those means, we have an experienced litigation team who deal regularly with Planning & Environment Court applications and hearings.
- are experienced professionals who will explain carefully and thoroughly the processes at play - be they pre-application, pre-decision or a Court appeal
- have a thorough knowledge of the law and take the time to ensure that the most appropriate course of action, to maximise the chance of a positive outcome, is followed
- understand how government departments and local councils think and negotiate
- provide access to experienced and fully qualified lawyers at Partner level
- are mindful of the potential costs to you and work to maximise your outcome and minimise your expense without compromising quality of service.